Saturday, September 27, 2008

ah-ha

So there's this activity we use while debriefing our participants' experiences in our Global Village. It's known here as the infamous "Ah-ha moment" when you can relate or at least try to begin to fathom the lives of others in poverty around the globe. I've had multiple frightening and inspiring ah-ha moments of my own lately. Realizing this is not "summer camp" as it felt at the beginning, or simply an extended summer. This past year has been a whirlwind of events and growth and I find myself waking up every now and then wondering where I am, wondering what the hell I'm doing in rural Arkansas of all places. It will really hit me this winter when I'm not sitting in a library cramming for finals and writing papers at ungodly hours of the night. For this I am incredibly grateful to be here among plenty of other reasons. I'm finally learning first hand how important it is to live far from your comfort zone. Of course I've always preached this but have never quite acted on it like this before. Being hundreds of miles from familiarities forces you to make your home or "nest" if you will, within yourself. I feel as if i'm embarking on an incredible and life-changing year of personal growth. i've already noticed hints: low-anxiety.

I helped lead a one of those debriefs today. The participants were 11th and 12th grade inner city Memphis students. some of them were Freedom Writers (their teacher was taught by the woman who began the program and who the movie is about). They rolled off their school bus and entered the mid-afternoon Arkansas heat at about 2:00, lugging their week-long packed luggage for one night. After learning that some of their favorites items included fast food, ipods and cell phones (oh and some loved their mirrors too) and watching their expressions of disgust as they learned how they'd be living that night, I was clueless as to how they'd fair.We had to confisgate a refrigerator-full amount of junk food. About 12 hours later, after listening to them wine over the mosquitoes and ask where the nearest hotel was, I returned to find a quiet and very lethargic group. I soon learned that despite their demeanor they really had wanted the full experience. When I asked if they would have eaten burgers last night if I had brought some they almost all said no, that would be a waste of this experience. One girl in particular realized how wasteful she can be and promised to change that. As I heard their individual ah-ha moments I felt so indescribably inspired that they were able to get so much from just one night. My ah-ha moment that morning was that I could be a part of their ah-ha moments in whatever minute way possible.

sleep is a'callin'. I have to wake up early for the Heifer Triathlon. and you thought the Olympics were a big deal...

1 comment:

Susan Williams said...

Hi Emmy,
This sounds like a wonderful experience! You will learn so much this year and I love hearing about it on your blog. One question: what are you eating? Do you need any cooking advice? All that fresh produce--what do you do with it?
xxx,
Susie