Friday, October 17, 2008






So it's been quite a while since I've written. I was kicked out of my house by the powers at be and sent to live in exile on the top of a mountain. Well, actually my house is under construction and my roommates and I were sent to the only available apartment out in the middle of nowhere on the ranch. My house once held all the wireless internet for the volunteers, but has since been taken down while they build the new roof. 
I'm becoming more and more accustomed to life here as well as what my job entails. I've led several Global Gateway programs now--from pesky high schoolers to awkward middle schoolers. Yet despite their attitudes it's the leaders that cause the most problems. Let me start off by saying we have wonderful groups that come to the ranch, follow the rules, learn about hunger, enjoy their stay in the global village, and connect to a larger world picture. Several weeks ago I was asked to co-lead a group of 90 high school students from across the state. Although not everyone knew each other, everything seemed fine even as we walked through the village. It looked like it would rain but that's never stopped a group before. Hours later, although they'd already broken some rules, I left them to cook their meals and experience what at least half the world's population does. By 8am the next day as I arrived to do service projects with them, I learn that over half of the group had left in the night because of the rain (not a storm I might add, just your typical rain). My others had snuck food into their villages and one rumor went around that a bus took a bunch of students to McDonald's early in the morning. The leader of the group wasn't very cooperative either. Needless to say I was pretty angry and fed up; they couldn't just put their attitudes aside for one night? Those that stayed later showed me they understood that people living in these situations don't always have the opportunity to leave if they don't want to put up with it. 
Side note: I'm beginning to appreciate independent businesses more and more. Chains run rampant throughout Arkansas. Also, for once I finally feel as though I'm not preaching to the choir. I'm finally teaching about hunger and poverty to those that may not have ever thought about it before. Third: Religion is EVERYWHERE! wait, let me rephrase that, christianity is everywhere. Even among some of the volunteers God is mentioned multiple times a day. Along with that there many discussions on topics that follow religion: abortion, sex and sexuality, etc. It's incredibly interesting to see the other sides of these ideas first hand.
I almost forgot! I'd like to introduce you all to my latest friends. They're half brothers and have lived on the ranch for 21 years.

This is Briggs and Stratton. They are asian water buffalo and each weigh over 2,500 lb. I helped clean out their pen (aka picked up their poop) yesterday, then gave them a walk and a bath all before treating them to a nice grazing session in a nearby pasture.

That's about all I have for now that I can physically fit in a single blog. More to come later a promised. xoxox and buffalo kisses, Em

ps. Water Buffalo give great hugs

No comments: