Saturday, September 13, 2008

Life at the Ranch




        Training has pretty much kept me occupied these past two weeks. As boring as it can be it’s still very helpful. I did however have a chance to milk some goats last week. I’d never done it before but I will definitely be helping out more with livestock now. It’s funning that the goats are so used to it that they jump up on the milking stall before they’re called--they know it means extra food! I also got the opportunity to kiss Goby the camel. “Kiss“ is a relative term...if you asked Goby, she’d say I was just feeding her an apple from my mouth, but nevertheless I have a new friend haha. However I think I’ll have to ask her to shave her facial stubble before our friendship can continue.
        The Perry County Fair kicked up in full swing last week (as full swing as a rural fair can get). We stopped by wednesday night just n time to watch the chicken, pig and calf scrambles. That had to be by far the biggest culture shock I’ve experienced since arriving. Twenty 8-12 year-olds running around (some barefoot) in a dirt arena chasing after chickens, piglets and then a calf. Whoever caught the animal got to keep it as a prize and they are required to bring its offspring for another scramble next year. Watching little kids chase and pounce on helpless little animals was a bit hard to watch however, I was told the children are taught the proper way to pick these animals up. The family sitting next to me won two chickens and a piglet who squealed uncontrollably the rest of the event. Poor thing. The calf scramble was tougher since these tired kids had to chase after a larger animal, then tie a harness around its head before a winner could be declared.
        We visited headquarters in Little Rock yesterday. The building won a platinum award (the highest) for its extremely eco-friendly design and functions. The building itself is very open in order to use as much natural light as possible. They also have their own water source via rainwater collected and stored in a moat-like pond. Everyone that we met seemed to genuinely love what they do and were so eager and proud to tell us about their part in the organization. We all hoped we might meet Beatrice, the Ugandan girl who, thanks to her gift a goat and was able to attend Connecticut College. She is now living in Little Rock where she’s studying at The Clinton School for Public Service. Sadly she wasn’t around but I’ve heard rumors she might come to the ranch’s Global Village Day next Saturday. I must say we’ve still met some pretty interesting people such as the employees from World Wide Sires who gave a power-point presentation about their bull sperm business around the world...fascinating...hah
        That’s all I have for now. Hurricane Ike should be moving in soon. Hopefully he won’t overstay his welcome.

Love to all

No comments: